Your Guide To Clear Skin
The Basics :
- Build a consistent skincare routine customized to your skin to help clear acne and repair skin barrier.
- Avoid pore clogging or skin aggravating ingredients in your skincare, makeup and hair products such as coconut, marula and palm oil, alcohol, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, fragrance…
- After using hair products in the shower, the most important thing is to make sure that no residue of the product is left on your skin. Thoroughly rinse your hairline and face, and use your body wash as the last step in your routine to make sure any residual product is getting washed off. Even better, use a body wash with ingredients like salicylic acid that are targeted at removing oil.
- Always remove makeup before bed no matter what.
- Hygiene: Wash your pillowcases, makeup brushes, disinfect your phone and wash your hands often to avoid bacteria on the skin.
Make your skin love you with these ingredients :
- SALICYLIC ACID : When our pores get clogged with dead skin cells and oil, blackheads, whiteheads, or pimples often appear. Salicylic acid penetrates your skin and works to dissolve the dead skin cells clogging your pores.
- COLLOIDAL SULFUR : Sulfur works by softening and thinning the epidermis to prevent clogged pores. Oily and acne-prone skin types, take note because sulfur might be the zit-fighting and oil-zapping ingredient you’ve been in need of. It works best for breakouts that are formed with a combination of dead skin cells and excess sebum. These include milder forms of acne, such as whiteheads and blackheads.
- ZINC OXIDE : It works as a skin protectant that effectively reduces the production of sebum and soothes the inflammation, thus, it won’t burn. It helps speed up the process of healing during acne treatment.
- NIACINAMIDE : It helps regulate the skin’s production of sebum, a type of oil produced by the sebaceous glands in the skin. Overproduction of sebum is linked to moderate to severe acne breakouts. Adding topical niacinamide to your daily skincare routine might be the missing piece to your good skin puzzle.
The Ritual :
- CLEANSE : Use a cleanser that has salicylic acid—a beta hydroxy acid that’s incredible for treating blemishes—and washes cleanly off. Our go-to is the Naturopathica Colloidal Silver & Salicylic Acid Acne Cleanser.
- TONE : Hydrate, refresh, and balance your skin with this hyaluronic acid and aloe vera-infused elixir. Indie Lee's CoQ-10 Toner is designed to leave your skin feeling restored, moisturized, and primed for the day, the alcohol-free formula contains antioxidant CoQ10, chamomile, and cucumber to impart soothing nourishment. Balancing sage promotes the appearance of a bright, even-toned, and clear complexion, while the lovely herbal scent envelops your senses in a calming ritual.
- MASK : The mask you'll want to reach for when you're in need of a skin detox is the Indie Lee Clearing Mask. The Salicylic and Glycolic Acids work to exfoliate dead skin cells, while the Bentonite Clay and Colloidal Sulfur help to gently draw out impurities. Zinc Oxide, Chamomile and Red Seaweed extracts ensure skin is left reconditioned and hydrated.
- SUPERCHARGE WITH SERUM : Serums go deep, hydrating and stimulating skin. Think of your skin as a dry sponge, then think of drenching the sponge in serum and how it stays wet, versus drenching it with a lotion or cream that might not penetrate as easily. Serums are great for prepping the skin before smoothing in face oil to seal all the moisture in. Our muse favorite is the Pai All Becomes Clear Serum.
- TREAT : Ideally, spot treatments are best applied at night (whether they’re for zits, scars, or dark spots), because that’s when your body is working hardest to repair itself. Combat those big, pesky zits with fast-acting treatments that draw out impurities and absorb excess oil while nourishing your skin to alleviate dryness. Our holy grail spot treatment is the Indie Lee Banish Solution.
- MOISTURIZE : You need to be using a moisturizer. Always. Twice a day. No matter what. It’ll keep your skin barrier—aka the very temperamental thing responsible for making your face look good—healthy and happy. We recommend Ursa Major's Fortifying Face Balm. It's lightweight, fast-absorbing lotions packed with potent natural actives to calm, hydrate and nourish skin, without clogging pores or creating shine.
- SPF : For a complete routine, finish off with the Naturopathica Calendula Hydrating SPF 30 to protect your face and act as armor against the outside world.
Boost Your Skin Glow :
For those with severe acne, consistent monthly facials help control breakouts and inflammation by cleaning out the pores fully. They are a crucial part of the process of repairing the skin, and an important form of preventative care. We recommend our ultimate SuperDetox facial for congested skin.
- The SuperDetox Facial : A purifying professional grade peel, double down extractions, ultrasonic skin cleanse, blue light LED + oxygen. Like a reset button for your skin. Book Your SuperDetox
- AVOID BIOTIN : It’s a vitamin found in a variety of foods such as eggs, salmon, avocados, and almonds. Biotin can also be taken as a supplement to aid in the growth of new hair, skin, and nails. However, it may be a contributing factor to acne breakouts because it is associated with the production of sebum oil in the skin glands. Excess oil on the skin is one of the leading causes of acne breakouts, and if you are taking a supplement that increases this, it is likely to trigger more problems with your skin.
- SUPPLEMENTS : Probiotics calm internal and external inflammation, restore skin barrier function, and offer protection from harmful environmental particles. While anyone can benefit from probiotics, they will be especially helpful for those with inflammatory skin conditions like acne, eczema, or rosacea, or anyone suffering from dryness or sensitivity due to a disrupted skin barrier.